If you’re trying to adjust the airflow in your home, chances are you’ve considered closing the air vents in unused rooms to push unwanted air into more popular rooms. While this may seem like a cost-effective and smart strategy, closing your air vents can actually raise your energy costs and cause serious damage to your HVAC system.
Air Rescue Air Conditioning is committed to not only providing quality and expert-level HVAC service but also maintaining the longevity of your HVAC system by providing the best tips for you. That’s why we never recommend closing your air vents in any unused rooms of your home. HVAC systems work best when airflow is balanced, and rooms with no air will cause air pressure to skyrocket, forcing the room to draw air in inefficient ways. In turn, this will create hot and cold spots in your home. As a result, closing your air vents can cause other unwanted consequences such as:
- Damage to Your System. Closing specific air vents will make your air handler overheat while your coils freeze over, causing the whole system to overwork itself. This could also damage other components in your HVAC system from overuse.
- Leaks in Air Ducts. Since closing your air vents will mean fewer places for air to travel, the air pressure in your air ducts will increase, causing leaks and bursts in your air ducts.
- Decreased Efficiency. Higher pressure in your air vents will cause decreased efficiency in distributing the air throughout your home. This will make your air conditioning unit work harder and longer to cool the same space, resulting in higher energy bills and air conditioning costs.
- Mold. When the cold air from your air conditioning system meets the hot air leaking in from air duct leaks, condensation forms in your air ducts, leading to mold. When this happens, the only thing you can do to fix it is by calling in your HVAC company, leading to more costs.
- Loud Noises. Closing the air vents will lead to lots of loud and disruptive noises from your air ducts.
When you choose Air Rescue Air Conditioning as your HVAC installer and technician, we promise great service, knowledgeable professionals, and the best tips and tricks to keep your HVAC systems running their best for as long as possible. We’re here to help you in emergencies and everyday life. Located in the Tampa Bay area, our customers have trusted us for over 70 years to provide the best air conditioning, ventilation, and heating systems for their homes and businesses. For more information, fill out a contact form or give us a call at 813-612-5600.