Whether you have a central air conditioner or a window unit, cool and comfortable air is a must in the summer months. But did you know that regular maintenance can extend the life of your AC unit and help prevent costly repairs? This blog post will share some easy tips for keeping your AC unit in tip-top shape all year.
What You’ll Need
Before you get started, there are a few things you’ll need to have on hand:
- A screwdriver (preferably a Phillips head).
- A can of compressed air.
- A clean rag or towel
- Blowing Warm Air. If your AC unit is blowing warm air, you’ll want to check the thermostat to make sure it’s set to “cool.” If it is, then take a look at the condenser coils. If they’re dirty or covered in dust, that could be causing your unit to overheat. Use your compressed air and rag to remove any dirt or debris, and then see if that does the trick.
- Water leakage. If you notice water pooling around your AC unit, it could mean that the drain line is clogged. The good news is that this is an easy fix! Just locate the drain line (attached to the back of your unit) and use your screwdriver to remove any debris that might be blocking it. Once it’s clear, replace the cap, and voila! Your AC should now work like new.
3 Tips for Maintaining Your AC Unit
- Keep it clean. Cleaning the coils and filters regularly will help ensure peak performance and efficiency. To clean the coils, remove them from the unit and rinse them with a hose. You should also replace the filters every few months.
- Keep it cool. Keep your thermostat set at 78 degrees or higher during the hottest summer days. It may seem counterintuitive, but running your AC unit less will help it last longer.
- Keep it covered. When your AC unit is not in use, cover it with a tarp or other protective cover to help protect it from the elements and keep dust and debris from clogging the coils and filters.
By following these simple tips, you can help extend the life of your AC unit and avoid costly repairs.
Sometimes, things can still go wrong with your AC unit, no matter how much troubleshooting you do or how meticulous you are with maintenance. In cases like this, leave it to the professionals and call Air Rescue! We specialize in AC repair and maintenance, and our highly trained technicians will have your unit up and running in no time. Plus, we offer 24/7 emergency service, so you never have to sweat it out in the heat for long!
If you have questions about your HVAC system or want to schedule a maintenance appointment, contact Air Rescue today! We would be happy to help you find the perfect solution for your needs.