Air conditioning is a summer must-have in Florida. So what happens when your AC stops working? Homeowners sometimes call for AC service when the system itself actually has no problem at all. Instead, the thermostat is to blame, or somehow the communication between the thermostat and the AC has been disrupted. Regardless, it has the same impact: the AC is not functioning properly or at all. But why might a thermostat malfunction? Are thermostat upgrades a good option? To reduce energy consumption and save on unnecessary repair bills, consider looking into a thermostat upgrade. Air Rescue can quickly and easily take care of this for you. Meanwhile below are tips to check for common digital thermostat issues.
Possible Causes of a Thermostat Malfunctions
Thermostat malfunctions may boil down to the quality of your device and how you use it. Think of a thermostat as the brain of an AC system. It allows you to choose IF and WHEN the system should be turned on. It can also determine the exact TEMPERATURE setting for various parts of the home and at different times of the day.
If you’re experiencing a problem with your AC, double-check the following on your thermostat:
- Check that it is set to “On.” It is entirely possible that it was accidentally turned off.
- Check whether it is set to “Fan” mode rather than “Cool” and adjust accordingly.
- If the panel is not displaying the temperature or other setting options, this is a good indication that you should change the thermostat batteries.
- If your thermostat is located in an unusually cool or warm place in your home, this can affect how it interacts with your AC system. Check with your AC service provider about possibly moving it to a better location.
- If the issue appears to be none of the above, you may be experiencing an electrical issue with your thermostat. Again, it is best to contact an electrician or AC service provider to avoid injury or damaging the unit.
Sometimes thermostats need a simple repair to recalibrate the system. In other cases, they may need to be replaced, or you may choose to replace yours in order to increase efficiency and convenience. In fact, an upgrade to a smart thermostat will likely save you money in the long run as well.
What is a smart thermostat? Basically, it’s a device that can be controlled with your phone, PC, smart speaker, or other Internet-connected devices. It tends to have a sophisticated, modern look and depending on the model, a lot of smart features. For instance, some models can actually learn your cooling preferences through artificial intelligence (AI) and automatically adjust the temperature accordingly. Others may remind you when it’s time to perform system maintenance or provide details of your energy consumption.
Air Rescue Air Conditioning provides reliable tips and HVAC services to homeowners in the Tampa Bay area. Contact us today at 813-375-9982 to schedule a service visit or to ask our technicians about our heating and A/C services. Visit our website for more information. Please also ‘Like’ us on Facebook!